Operations Officer – Canada Water Church
Canada Water Church is a local evangelical church of about 100 people in South East London. We are looking for an enthusiastic and highly organised individual to lead the day-to-day administration of our church. This part-time role would work closely with the minister, elders and deacons in the running of the church.
The Operations Officer will be responsible for the administration of a number of areas of the church’s activities, in order to make the church more effective in our core aim of “glorifying God by growing in grace and giving ourselves away to Him, our church, our city and across the world”.
The exact responsibilities will be adjusted to suit the skills and experience of the successful applicant and the changing requirements of the church. Initially we envisage the following:
1. Overseeing the church office functions (including communications, publicity, Sunday service and event planning, diary coordination etc.). This will involve both carrying out these tasks and coordinating the work of volunteers.
2. Assisting the church treasurer in day-to-day financial activities, such as dealing with payments and gifts. Training will be provided.
3. Writing and sending the church’s communications – internal and external, digital and in print, such as event invitations and supporters’ newsletters.
4. Maintaining the church’s member database.
5. Monitoring the church’s compliance with legal requirements (including health and safety, child protection, food hygiene, data protection etc.)
6. Managing the church’s relationship with our landlords, caterers, and any other venues for church meetings.
7. Attending elders’ and directors’ meetings (in a non-voting capacity) in order to assist in planning, take minutes and follow up where required.
8. Assisting the elders and deacons in various ways.
9. Supporting ministry leaders and volunteers.
In addition to the above, all staff are expected to operate as active members of the church, modelling discipleship and contributing to the life and witness of the church.
We are looking for someone with:
1. Excellent people skills, including patience and flexibility
2. Highly organised with an ability to prioritise tasks and plan
3. Proven ability to recruit and motivate volunteers, to listen and encourage, and to facilitate willing service
4. A confident, strategic thinker who can take the initiative and problem solve
5. Good judgment, sensitivity, and appropriate confidentiality
6. Excellent IT skills, including experience in Word, Excel, and email
7. A servant-hearted, ‘can-do’ attitude, including a willingness to pitch in regularly with mundane tasks to get the job done
8. An understanding of the workings of an active evangelical church
In addition, we expect certain qualities from all staff members:
1. A commitment to the authority and teachings of the Christian Bible
2. A determination to live consistently as a Christian disciple, with honesty, integrity and general godliness
3. A commitment to the beliefs and vision of the church (in particular, complete agreement with the Statement of Faith)
4. Willingness to play a full and active role in the life of the church
This post is subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure and satisfactory references
Hours: 20 hours per week, including some evenings.
Place of work: Flexible depending on successful applicant, could be Church office (SE8 5EW) or home
To apply: please email your CV and covering letter explaining why you think you meet the criteria above to: Office@canadawaterchurch.com